For the first time, the effectiveness of using TV and online advertising in tandem has been examined in depth. A pioneering new study conducted by Q Media Research in the UK has shown that using TV and online together is significantly more effective for advertisers than using either in isolation.
The study concluded that using the two media together does provide a very powerful combination across the whole process … from telling consumers about a brand they never heard of before … to helping them decide on which brands are more relevant to them.
Although it’s not always the case, the relationship does tend to flow from TV to online with TV sparking initial interest, awareness and “talkability” about a brand. With online providing consumers with the additional information they need to aid in decision making and purchase.
This particular combination is very powerful in raising purchase consideration with retail TV advertising generally starting the process and online completing it.
Other key findings from the study include:
- Using TV advertising and online together results in 47% more positive feelings about a brand than using either in isolation.
- The likelihood of buying or using a product increases by more than 50% when TV and online are used together.
- 48% of the sample group of 3,000 respondents watched TV while online, most days. Going online was second only to eating for activities that people do while the TV is on.
- The findings reinforce the need to ensure creative synergy between TV and online advertising:
- TV and Online campaigns need to have a consistent theme/message.
- The strength of each media needs to be maximized (TV for excitement and impact. Online for interaction and personalized engagement).
- There needs to be a high level of visual synergy between the two mediums.
- Rather than use online as a reach medium, it should be used to target those who have already seen the TV advertising as a way of extending the campaign message.
Guy Phillipson, CEO of the Internet Advertising Bureau, had this to say:
“This important study delivers clear evidence of just how powerful and effective the TV and online combination is. In all the categories we tested, the results were very positive for both ‘soft’ brand measures and ‘hard’ purchase intent scores.”